Headlines

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

In The Lead Pack with Nathan Wadsworth

(Photo courtesy of Nathan Wadsworth)

Nathan Wadsworth, a Wichita State University graduate ('04) and current Kansas City Smoke Elite Development Club athlete, recently finished 57th at the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials. While at Wichita State University, Wadsworth captured the Missouri Valley Conference 10k title during his sophomore and junior years. Wadsworth will compete at the February 16th USA Cross Country Championships.

Interview by: Derick Lawrence (1/14/2008)


What initially drew you to running?
I began running when I was 9 years old. A summer track club was started in my hometown (Andover, KS). During middle school I decided that I wanted to focus on distance running and be as competitive as I could be with it. As I went through high school and college I just continued to love running more and more and I decided that I would continue to see what I could get out of myself as long as possible.

My purpose for running now would have to be to honor God by running to the best of the abilities He has blessed me with, and to just enjoy the chance to be active and healthy.


You ran collegiately at Wichita State University (’04). Tell us about your collegiate running career (personal records, achievements, experiences, etc.)
I really enjoyed my time at Wichita Sate University. The coaches and team there during my time were some great people and friends. WSU gave me the chance to run against the best competition and I really appreciated that. I went to California 6 times, Drake Relays, Mt. Sac, and KU Relays. These high-level competitions helped to push me to new levels.

I was a 6-7 time All-Missouri Valley Conference athlete in cross country, indoor and outdoor track. I won the 10k track championship my sophomore and junior years and was runner-up in the 5k on a few occasions. My best conference performance in cross country was 7th place my senior year.

I would say that my biggest improvement came my sophomore year when I ran a 30:05 10k at Stanford improving from 31:40 my freshman year. I felt that I was ready to make big PR improvements again my senior year, but I just ran out of energy in big 10k’s and a 5k. The last 4 weeks of my outdoor track campaign and my conference meet were disappointing. I will say that this experience did reinforce in my mind the need to still try and compete at a high level after college.

I ended up with PR’s of 8:24 (indoor 3k), 14:30 (indoor 5k), 14:27 (outdoor 5k), and 29:39 (10k) while at WSU.


You currently run for the Kansas City Smoke Elite Development Club. What is the team atmosphere like?
I live in Andover, KS so I am mainly training on my own (with help from my family and some very kind friends on some of my hard and longer runs!). I do run with some local post-collegiate runners Rob Duncan, Tony D’Amato, and Desiraye Osburn-Speer on occasion.

As for the KC area guys, I know most of them and would certainly train with them if we were closer. I believe they meet regularly to train together and I see them at races on occasion. Shawn Love, who directs the KC Smoke Elite Development Club, has helped me out on numerous occasions and I am grateful for his support. He is working to gain more sponsorship for the club and I hope that interested parties will consider helping this important cause.


You placed 57th at the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials on November 3rd. Describe this race for us.
(Photo courtesy of Nathan Wadsworth)

It was the most incredible and biggest race experience I have ever had. The New York Road Runners did a first-class job with everything on race weekend.

The course was like running a 26.2 mile fartlek. There was little rhythm to running this course as the mile splits were back and forth due to the hills. I was very pleased with the effort I gave. I left nothing on the course and I am thankful for the chance to run against the best. I must say that I was disappointed with how my legs felt on race day. When I finished, my heart and lungs were not taxed, but my legs just wouldn’t go any faster. Within one minute, my heart rate was back down to a recovered level and I felt like it was just another hard long run.

To prepare for this race I had trained in Alamosa, CO for 4 months. I was doing my tempo runs at no-faster than 5:00-5:25 per mile, because I just couldn’t go much faster at that altitude (7,500ft.). I now feel like the lack of training at my goal pace of 5:10-15 per mile, ended up hurting my leg speed at the Trials. I also opted for the mileage aspect instead of putting in the needed speed work while I was there. Bottom line, I became very strong and fit, but I was not the marathon athlete I thought I would be at the Trials.


Your teammates Eric Heins and Jonathan Little also competed at the marathon trials. How do you guys complement each other in training?
I was training in Colorado and Kansas and they are both living in Flagstaff, AZ now.


Prior to your marathon trials qualifier at Chicago in 2006 you spent the summer training at altitude in Boulder. How did you respond to altitude?
I was actually in Alamosa for two months in the summer 2006 and 4 months in the summer of 2007. I always respond well to altitude, but I have yet to figure out when I need to return to sea-level for the best performance. I feel that altitude training is very beneficial, but I will search for a lower altitude training base next time. I am thinking about visiting Albuquerque, NM hopefully.


What key concept(s) do you believe are necessary for success of a marathon runner?
The marathon is a challenge for anyone, no matter what talent they have. Most importantly the training base has to be developed, preferably for years, before undertaking the distance.

I feel that because the marathon is 98.5% aerobic and 1.5% anaerobic, that the aerobic element must be trained to its highest possible level. This means focusing on the long runs as well as tempo runs at marathon pace. The tempo runs are very important to practice for months before hand so that the runner gets accustomed to the pace that they will be running for 26.2 miles.

I feel that fuel intake is also important to practice during the marathon build-up. Using electrolyte gels and drinks during long runs and tempo runs are helpful to train the gut to digest calories during exercise. Digestion during the run will become more efficient as it is practiced during exercise.

Running will make you a great runner. I feel, however, that runners should strive to be athletes.
Undertaking regular strength training, flexibility, power, and running form sessions designed to enhance running mechanics are all keys that will make running in general more successful. I have recently begun a strength training and flexibility session that I do 4-7 days a week. I have also begun power and dynamic strength drills that I do 2-3 times each week. I have learned from running against and getting to know some of the world’s best distance runners that they don’t just put in 110-170 miles a week. They are in the gym, stretching, getting massage, sleeping and eating right. When all of these elements are put together, something special can happen.


Do you use physiological testing in your training? If so, how do you apply those results into your training? (Photo courtesy of the Wichita State University Human Performance Laboratory website)

Yes. Exercise Science and human performance is what I studied at Wichita State University. I have spent many hours in the Human Performance Lab at WSU and I have also been tested myself. I have been tested for VO2max and lactate blood levels on the treadmill. I use the data collected from the lactate samples to map out where my heart rate zones are. This test is very useful as it will give you accurate heart rate zones for all levels of training. Once this test is performed, you simply wear a heart rate monitor and run in the zone that the workout calls for. You know if you are training in the right zone because heart rate won’t lie.


What key workout(s) or training element(s) do you incorporate into your marathon training?
I like to work hard to very hard on the long runs and tempo runs. Intervals of 400 to 3 miles are also part of my regimen. I have run up to 24 miles before the marathon, but I plan to push that up quite a bit for my next marathon. I also plan to push my tempo run distances up beyond 12 miles. The focus is always strength for the marathon.


Could you outline your last two weeks of training leading up to the marathon trials?
Two weeks from the marathon I moved from Alamosa, CO where I had been for 4 months to Andover, KS my home. My mileage for the last two weeks was 100 and 55 miles respectively. I did an 8-mile tempo run with 14 days to go and a 5-mile tempo with 7 days to go. I focused on leg speed workouts like 200-400 meter repeats and also got a lot of sleep. The last 7 days before the race I focused on rest and eating more carbohydrates than usual. I ran every day up to the race with a 25 minute jog the day before.


What are your racing plans this year?
This year I will do an indoor 3k or 5k, USA cross-country nationals, some road 10ks and I hope to go out to California and get on the track for a big 10,000 PR. Over the summer I will prepare for a fall marathon, maybe the USA marathon championships.


What words of wisdom would you give to collegiate runners looking to compete in the marathon after college?
I would say to go for it and don’t be afraid of the distance, but respect the distance. Use a training program that is proven for the marathon and don’t neglect the long runs. Believe that you can accomplish your goals and try the best you can to go after them.


Thanks to Nathan for a great interview.

No comments: